Washwood Heath Health and Wellbeing Centre
The three storey centre is a BREEAM ‘Excellent’ rated facility bringing together a broad range of health and community services to form a new hub for the residents of Saltley in East Birmingham.
The landmark, state-of-the-art community health facility can support a 15,000 strong patient list and a local population of 62,000, helping to ease pressure on acute NHS services in the area.
The flexible accommodation has been designed to maximise utilisation of the space including suites of bookable rooms, which can be used out of hours and in isolation from the rest of the building. A ground floor café and IT information area are also proving to be popular facilities.
“People are being referred to the centre for other services and on seeing what an amazing facility is here are asking if they can register as a patient of the practice. Everything is all under one roof and it’s making a real difference to the community who are accessing the services here.”
Centre Manager, Dawn Smith
“Washwood Heath is an example of how clinical and community services can work together to transform patient care, wellbeing and community life.”
Ann Pursey, Chief Executive of BaS LIFT Co
Size: 3,920 sqm
Commissioned by: NHS Birmingham East and North
Completed: June 2011
Services and facilities include:
- Physiotherapy, pain management and orthopaedic triage
- A diagnostic and urgent care unit
- Range of community primary care clinics delivered form a range of clinical facilities eg, health visiting, district nursing, school nursing, family planning, long term conditions management and children’s services
- A welfare advice centre and family planning unit
- A community café, public courtyard and community IT facilities
- Flexible facilities for social functions such as weddings and fitness groups